Sustainable Structural Design and Retrofitting
Tecniche di progettazione ed adeguamento strutturale sostenibili
Teachers: Pietro Meriggi
A new approach towards construction engineering is based on the sustainable use of resources, including land use, energy consumption and gas emissions for material production, and disposal of waste materials. Additionally, the aging of the building stock is increasing the costs for its maintenance and repair, which are required for enhancing its safety level and protecting human lives. Innovative technologies are nowadays available that can ensure a better durability of new constructions and improve the capacity of existing ones. The civil engineer needs the skills for the design and application of these technologies in the field.
The course deals with the fundamental issues of construction sustainability with reference to both design new structures and rehabilitation of built heritage. The principles of structural safety and sustainability and of life-cycle assessment are introduced. The first part of the course will provide the students with the basic principles of the design of new concrete structures with FRP rebars, fibre-reinforced, self-healing and 3S concrete, and built in concrete with recycled aggregates. The second part will provide an overview of the most advanced strategies for the sustainable management of existing structures. The technologies and the criteria for design and assessment of rehabilitation with innovative materials will be illustrated, including externally bonded FRCM composites, NSM composites and fibre-reinforced mortars.
- Lesson 1: Presentation of the course
- Lesson 2: Sustainability in Civil Engineering – Part 1 (The triple bottom line – Economic and Social Pillars)
- Lesson 3: Sustainability in Civil Engineering – Part 2 (The triple bottom line – Environmental Pillar)
- Lesson 4: Sustainability in Civil Engineering – Part 3 (Sustainable Strategies)
- Lesson 5: Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) – Part 1 (Theory and Fundamentals)
- Lesson 6: Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) – Part 2.1 (Application to Buildings)
- Lesson 7: Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) – Part 2.2 (Application to Buildings)
- Lesson 8: Sustainability of Building Materials
- Lesson 9: Sustainability/durability of concrete – Part 1 (Concrete constituent materials)