Rilem TC 250-CSM Round Robin Test on TRMs
Textile Reinforced Mortar (TRM) composites are an effective, compatible and cost-efficient solution for repairing and strengthening existing structures. Recent research studies provided fundamental information on their tensile and bond properties as well as on the behaviour of retrofitted structural members. At the same time, important industrial developments made many systems available for applications in the field.
A Round Robin Test (RRT) was organized by the Rilem TC 250-CSM (Composites for the Sustainable Strengthening of Masonry) and Assocompositi (Italian Industry Association for Composite Materials) for the characterization of TRM composites. This initiative aimed at (i) collecting a wide experimental dataset, (ii) improving the knowledge on the mechanical behaviour of TRM systems, (iii) deriving information on the repeatability/variability of results (and on the causes of variability), and (iv) developing standardized methodologies for direct tensile tests and shear bond tests.
Nineteen research institution were involved, from 6 European Countries (France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Poland, Portugal and Slovenia). A total of 28 TRM systems were investigated, supplied by 11 industrial partners (ten of which were Italian and one was Greek). In order to validate test results and derive information on the incidence of experimental setups, at least two institutions tested each system (but reliable results on aramid systems were available only from one institution). The overall investigation included 68 test series, each of which comprised five direct tensile tests and five shear bond tests (with the only exception of two of them on TRM systems with glass textiles).
The Structures Research Group led this activity, starting from the design of the experimental study, the development of testing protocols, and the collection of test results.
List of scientific institutions and laboratories involved in the RRT
- University of Aachen, Germany
- CertiMaC, Italy
- Cracow University of Technology, Poland
- Milan University of Technology, Italy
- University of Minho, Portugal
- University of Bologna, Italy
- University of Chieti-Pescara, Italy
- Uni E-campus, Italy
- University of Firenze, Italy
- University of Lyon 1, France
- University of Naples, Italy
- University of Perugia, Italy
- University of Padova, Italy
- Roma Tre University, Italy
- University of Salento, Italy
- University of Sannio, Italy
- University of Trieste, Italy
- University of Patras, Greece
- University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
List of industrial partners and suppliers involved in the RRT
- Ardea Progetti srl, Italy
- BASF SpA, Italy
- Fibrenet srl, Italy
- Fyfe Co LCC, Greece
- G&P Intech srl, Italy
- Kerakoll SpA, Italy
- Mapei SpA, Italy
- Ruredil SpA, Italy
- Sacen srl, Italy
- Sika SpA, Italy
- TCS Calce srl, Italy
SanMarco-Terreal srl, Italy, provided the clay bricks to manufacture the brickwork prisms used as substrates in shear bond tests.
Key publications on this topic
- de Felice G, Aiello MA, Caggegi C, Ceroni F, De Santis S, Garbin E, Gattesco N, Hojdys Ł, Krajewski P, Kwiecień A, Leone M, Lignola GP, Mazzotti C, Oliveira D, Papanicolaou C, Poggi C, Triantafillou T, Valluzzi MR, Viskovic A. Recommendation of RILEM TC 250-CSM: Test method for Textile Reinforced Mortar to substrate bond characterization. Materials and Structures 2018;51:95. DOI: 10.1617/s11527-018-1216-x.
- Caggegi C, Carozzi FG, De Santis S, Fabbrocino F, Focacci F, Hojdys L, Lanoye E, Zuccarino L. Experimental analysis on tensile and bond properties of PBO and Aramid fabric reinforced cementitious matrix for strengthening masonry structures. Compos Part B-Eng 2017;127:175-195. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.05.048.
- Carozzi FG, Bellini A, D’Antino T, de Felice G, Focacci F, Hojdys L, Laghi L, Lanoye E, Micelli F, Panizza M, Poggi C. Experimental investigation of tensile and bond properties of Carbon-FRCM composites for strengthening masonry elements. Compos Part B-Eng. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.06.018.
- De Santis S, Carozzi FG, de Felice G, Poggi C. Test methods for Textile Reinforced Mortar systems. Compos Part B-Eng 2017;127:121-132. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.03.016.
- De Santis S, Ceroni F, de Felice G, Fagone M, Ghiassi B, Kwiecień A, Lignola GP, Morganti M, Santandrea M, Valluzzi MR, Viskovic A. Round Robin Test on tensile and bond behaviour of Steel Reinforced Grout systems. Compos Part B-Eng 2017;127:100-120. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.03.052.
- Leone M, Aiello MA, Balsamo A, Carozzi FG, Ceroni F, Corradi M, Gams M, Garbin E, Gattesco N, Krajewski P, Mazzoti C, Oliveira DV, Papanicolaou CG, Ranocchiai G,, Roscini F, Saenger D. Glass fabric reinforced cementitious matrix: Tensile properties and bond performance on masonry substrate. Compos Part B-Eng 2017;127:196-214. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.06.028.
- Lignola GP, Caggegi C, Ceroni F, De Santis S, Krajewski P, Lourenço PB, Morganti M, Papanicolaou C, Pellegrino C, Prota A, Zuccarino L. Performance assessment of basalt FRCM for retrofit applications on masonry. Compos Part B-Eng 2017;128:1-18. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2017.05.003.